German U-boat U212A 1:200 (Designed by Strk)

wszystko o modelach kartonowych

Moderatorzy: Tomasz D., kartonwork

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » śr kwie 01 2009, 9:00

Hello everybody,

First of all, sorry for the english language, used in this topic, but I do not speak polish, so hope it will not be a problem :)

I think most of you know models designed by Strk (971 Szczuka, SSBN Delta III class), which in my opinion are very good designed and nice looking subs. So I was very happy, when Strk asked me to test build his new model: new German submarine U212 designed traditionally in 1/200 scale. I have got few pdf sheets with model parts and immediately started the building process:
Obrazek

As recommended by model author, I used 180g paper for hull parts and 1mm cardboard for skeleton.

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » śr kwie 01 2009, 9:11

No problems noticed while bulding the skeleton of the ship. Every part fits ideally:

Obrazek

But I had one comment to the model designer: I would like to have one more part, like P4 in first picture, but going at the middle of the bulkheads along all ship. Such design, in my opinion, ensures not only more rigid structure, but also eliminates problems with warped keel or not perpendicular bulkheads. Anyway, I had no big problems with existing design, just needed to be more careful :)

Here is a picture of finished skeleton and some parts of the hull:
Obrazek

Seems that Revell's 212 in huge 1/144 scale will wait for a while :)

Awatar użytkownika
Lemur

Postautor: Lemur » śr kwie 01 2009, 18:34

Hi, nice to see You between us.
So far it looks nice. Cut lines nice and straight. Maybe You have a picture or drawing of this u-boot to show how it's gonna look's.

Sorry for my English but is much easier to talk than wright ;)

Good luck and keep going :)
I will come and have a look in this place every day.
W stoczni Königsberg a w oczekiwaniu Richelieu i coś jeszcze ;)

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » czw kwie 02 2009, 12:28

Lemur pisze:Hi, nice to see You between us.
So far it looks nice. Cut lines nice and straight. Maybe You have a picture or drawing of this u-boot to show how it's gonna look's.

Sorry for my English but is much easier to talk than wright ;)

Good luck and keep going :)
I will come and have a look in this place every day.

Hello Lemur,

Thank you for your comments. I have no drawing (because designer of the model is Strk not me), but collected few photos, to imagine what this submarine is:
Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

This u-boat is most advanced German submarine today with AIP (Air Independent Propulsion).

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » czw kwie 02 2009, 12:51

The building process is going on. Here is the picture of some hull sections, which have simple shape (rectangle). I cutted and glued them into one big hull part before glueing it to skeleton. This allows to eliminate gaps between hull parts and have nice seam:

Obrazek

I used the same (180g) paper stripes to connect parts together and this was my mistake ;) Because when I "ironed" and smoothed the seams between parts, the paper stripes became noticable, showing through:

Obrazek

You can see this bad effect at last two joints particularly:
Obrazek

Another side:
Obrazek

Obrazek

Anyway, it is noticable only at some angles :) And lately I am planning to paint and clear coat the model, so hope it will eliminates this.

Awatar użytkownika
Lemur

Postautor: Lemur » czw kwie 02 2009, 19:35

Thank You for pic's. It's gonna be a really nice, good looking model (i think ;) ). But with does strips You've done bad job. I hope that is possible to fix it and don't make anymore mistakes like this one.
For me only problem is a size of model. Scale 1:200 - is not to small??
How big it will be after assembly?
Sorry for all those questions but i'd like to know little bit more about it. It is a good idea to make modern u-boot :D

Good luck
W stoczni Königsberg a w oczekiwaniu Richelieu i coś jeszcze ;)

Awatar użytkownika
Siara

Postautor: Siara » pt kwie 03 2009, 0:40

Agnius- looks good from here! Do not worry about the indentations between ribs. Without knowing you created the perfect oil canning effect- something which was present on all the submarines which saw action. :lol:

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » pt kwie 03 2009, 9:10

Siara pisze:Agnius- looks good from here! Do not worry about the indentations between ribs. Without knowing you created the perfect oil canning effect- something which was present on all the submarines which saw action. :lol:

Yes, I know this effect, but the problem is, that U212 is a single hull submarine :) So oil canning effect can not be seen for pressure hull :) But as I said, I think after almost black paint and clearcoating, i will eliminate this. And besides, this is a BETA BUILD, so the author of the model did not asked me to be very precisious :lol: As far as I know, this model will be published in Modelarstwo Okretowe lately.

At this moment I am working on bow sections, which has complex shape, so need to be careful (this is third attempt already :))
Obrazek

And also I noticed that for such small boat, which will be ~30cm length, 180g paper is too much rigid and do not want to roll good. Next time when I will build Kilo class submarine which designing is in progress, I will use 160g paper.

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » pn kwie 06 2009, 8:38

So building is going on. During weekend almost completed nose section. It has complex shape, so was precise and careful. Need to commend Strk, because he designed bow very well, details suits to each other very good:

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

But one thing I completely dislike - the details are painted using very thick line. I used to Halinski like models, where are no any lines at all - just color regions. Maybe such "fat" line is good for tanks, but here I had problems: if cutting centerline, get bad result, if cut at the outer edge of line - detail is bigger than needed. So hope, when model will be published in Modelarstwo Okretowe (I hope), it will has no contour lines :)

Agnius

Postautor: Agnius » ndz kwie 12 2009, 21:05

So, during weekend and Easter it is a good time to spent few hours for gluing models :) I continued with aft part of the ship. For unknown reason I remade aft segments several times to achieve acceptable result. This is not the fault of the designer - I am sure that I was not very precise while building skeleton so some part did not fit well.

Final result:
Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

Obrazek

View of all boat:

Obrazek

Obrazek

Wróć do „Karton i Papier - makulatura”